Our historic facilities, equipped with state-of-the-art multimedia labs and technology, represent the unique blend of innovation and tradition our school embodies.
For more than a century, Allen Hall has sat at the heart of the UO campus in Eugene. Named for renowned journalist Eric W. Allen, who founded the SOJC in 1916, today it’s home to state-of-the-art studios and collaboration spaces where students create compelling content using the latest media technologies.
We encourage fieldwork at the SOJC—and we’ve got the tech to support it. Whether your project is for a grade or for a real-world client, the J-Cage is where you can check out the equipment you need, including:
- Audio recorders and mics
- Digital cameras and DSLR lenses
- Video and photo lighting kits
- Tripods and monopods
Shooting a video? Recording a voiceover? Conducting an interview? Doing a photo shoot? Our broadcasting/photography studio and audio recording booth give you a place to produce professional-quality work.
Experience Hub—Coming to Allen Hall in Fall 2019
Put your hands on the hottest tech, and see what you can create. The Experience Hub is where SOJC students will get to experiment with emerging technologies while building invaluable multimedia skills with the tools professionals are using in the industry now—and in the future. When it opens in 2019, the new Experience Hub will have everything you need to become powerful a content creator, including:
- Immersive storytelling lab
- Pro-quality video and photo production studio
- Podcast studio
- Social media analytics lab
- Editing bays
- Flexible spaces for collaboration
Tucked into the center of Oregon’s biggest media market, SOJC Portland on the historic White Stag Block is loaded with charm—not to mention state-of-the-art tech. Immerse yourself in Portland’s thriving downtown, and tell the stories of a city renowned for its uniqueness.
Oregon Reality (OR) Lab
The next media frontier is immersive, from 360 video to virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR). We’re pioneering media-making and research with these emerging technologies at our brand-new, state-of-the-art immersive experience lab. Visit SOJC Portland to demo our VR platforms and tools, attend an immersive event, see student-produced 360 videos and virtual worlds, and learn about faculty research exploring such topics as the ethics of VR and how virtual worlds help people with disabilities.
- Cinema cameras: Canon C100, C100 Mark II, C200, C300, XC10, and Sony FS700
- Canon EOS 80D DSLR cameras with a variety of lenses
- GoPro cameras, including a GoPro HERO5 Black and Karma Grip gimbal
- Manual and motorized motion systems by Kessler, Dynamic Perception, and Rhino
- DJI Ronin gimbal, Ikan DSLR gimbal, and DJI Osmo+ handheld gimbal with 4K camera
- DJI Inspire, Mavic Pro Platinum, and Spark drones
- 360 cameras
- Marantz audio recorders and Sennheiser microphones
- Lighting and grip equipment