Courtney Hunt Munther joined the University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication faculty in 2014. A senior instructor of public relations, she teaches classes in PR principles, strategic writing, media relations and nonprofit communication, and has taught at UO’s Strategic Communication Master’s Program in Portland.
Prior to teaching, Munther earned her master's degree in journalism while working as a features editor for a start-up daily newspaper in Northern California. She also worked in public relations for St. Joseph Health, now Providence St. Joseph Health, where she served as the lead writer and media spokesperson for two hospitals. In this role, she developed expertise in media relations, crisis communication, internal and community relations, strategic planning and donor relations.
At UO, she co-founded and co-directs Writing Central, an innovative peer writing program for journalism and communication students. Munther is involved in leading experiential trips to San Francisco and is developing a strategic communication-focused study abroad trip to Stockholm and London in 2022. In 2019 she won the Jonathan Marshall Award for Innovative Teaching in Journalism and Communication.
For more information, visit her website.
- MA, Journalism, University of Nebraska, 2012
- BA, French Literature and Language, Smith College, 2004
Areas of Expertise
- Donor Relations
- Media Relations
- Healthcare Communication
- Strategic Writing
- Principles of Public Relations
- Strategic Writing and Media Relations
- Strategic Public Relations Communication
- Nonprofit Fundraising Communication
- Nonprofit Crowdfunding
- Strategic Communication Foundations
Honors and Awards
- 2019 Jonathan Marshall Award for Innovative Teaching in Journalism and Communication