Keya completed her undergraduate degree from the University of Delhi and studied her first MA degree in development communication from AJK MCRC Jamia Millia Islamia University in India. Curious to learn more, Keya came to Oregon to study her second MA degree in media studies from the School of Journalism and Communication (SOJC) at the University of Oregon. After graduation, she moved to Geneva, Switzerland to work with the International Labor Organization (ILO) and helped in designing digital strategies for the outreach of social protection unit. She returned to India to work for the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and worked in the area of communication led innovations and advocacy for family planning, adolescent health and menstrual health management in the country. She also worked with UNAIDS India in documenting project case studies and advising on the national communication strategy to address HIV/AIDS.
Currently, Keya's research interests focus on the intersection of global communication, gender and social change, especially in the Global South. She studies communication and media for development, activism and social justice.
- PhD Candidate in Communication & Media Studies, School of Journalism and Communication, University of Oregon, Eugene.
- MA in Media Studies, School of Journalism and Communication, University of Oregon, Eugene.
- MA in Development Communication, AJK Mass Communication Research Centre (AJK MCRC), Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi.
- BA (Honours) Journalism, University of Delhi, New Delhi.
Markowitz, D. M., Blackburn, K. G., Saxena, K., Marion, J., Olivarez, O., Hernandez, R., Woodworth, M. T., & Hancock, J. T. (2022). The Truth Project. Journal of Language and Social Psychology, 41(4), 450–461. https://doi.org/10.1177/0261927X211067821
Martinez, G., & Saxena, K. (2021). Mapping the promises and perils of distance education during the COVID-19 pandemic: Peru’s case. Jump Cut: A Review of Contemporary Media, Issue 60. https://www.ejumpcut.org/archive/jc60.2021/MartinezSaxena-PeruEducation/text.html
Honors and Awards:
- Lokey Scholarship, School of Journalism and Communication, University of Oregon. June 2022
- Global Oregon International Research Fund, University of Oregon. June 2022
- The Centre for Asian and Pacific Studies Grant, University of Oregon. April 2022
- Special OPPS Travel and Research Award, University of Oregon. May 2020
- Columbia Scholarship, University of Oregon. October 2019- June 2023
- Graduate Teaching Fellowship, University of Oregon. October 2019- June 2023
- Outstanding Master’s Student Teaching Award, University of Oregon. June 2017
- Graduate Teaching Fellowship, University of Oregon. September 2015-June 2017
- African Studies Scholarship for Media in Ghana, University of Oregon. June-August 2016
- Communication for Social Change in Developing Countries
- Gender, Media and Diversity
- International Communication
- Writing for Communicators
- Gateway to Media