Want to report on corruption in public institutions? Plan a strategic campaign for a nonprofit? Study the media’s impact on culture? Help organizations reach new audiences? You can learn it all at the SOJC. Start by deciding which of our undergraduate programs is right for you.
Are you an incoming first-year or transfer student? Turn in your UO application by the deadline for the term you want to start. And don’t forget to declare pre-advertising, pre-journalism, pre-media studies, or pre-public relations as your major.
How To Apply
Step 1: Declare an SOJC pre-major.
Whether you want to pursue a concentration in advertising, journalism, media studies, or public relations—or you're not quite sure yet which concentration to pursue—you’ll begin your journey as an SOJC pre-major.
- Incoming first-year and transfer students: Note on your UO application that you want to major in journalism, advertising, public relations, or media studies, and you’ll automatically get SOJC pre-major status. If you’re already accepted to the UO and want to switch to pre-SOJC before orientation, contact the UO Office of Admissions.
- Current UO students: If you have a UO GPA of 2.00 or better, fill out our form to choose pre-advertising, pre-journalism, pre-media studies, or pre-public relations as your major.
Step 2: Meet our core requirements.
To qualify for full major status, you’ll need to complete the following prerequisites.
- Pre-major core: Lay the groundwork for your SOJC degree.
- J100 Media Professions (2 credits)
- J101 Grammar for Communicators (2 credits)
- J201 Media and Society (4 credits)
- UO writing requirement: Get a few writing classes under your belt. (If you’re in the Clark Honors College, don’t worry about this one.)
- WR121 College Composition I
- WR122 College Composition II or WR123 College Composition III
- Minimum GPA: Complete at least 24 graded hours at UO, and earn a cumulative GPA of 2.90 or better.
Step 3: Apply for full major status.
Your application is due on the last day of the term in which you finish the above pre-requisites. Your application will remain pending until grades are released.
Current UO Students: If you have met all pre-major requirements, fill out your application for full major status.
Your laptop is your lifeline. It keeps you connected wherever you are, on campus or off. We expect all students to have reliable access to one, and some instructors even require it for class.
Need a computer?
- Get a recommendation from our tech folks
- Choose a vendor like the UO Duck Store that offers educational discounts
- Explore other options for affordable technology like Free Geek, a nonprofit based in Portland