Starting today, I would like to share with you bi-weekly updates. In the time between updates, please send me questions, comments, and ideas for items to include in my next communication.
- We should receive the budget agreement from UO Central Administration to review this week. As far as I know, the memorandum includes the plan of savings and revenues I have shared with you. As soon as the final document is ready, I will discuss it with you.
- We are also finalizing a Memorandum of Understanding with the CAS Department of Cinema Studies. The SOJC leadership team and are ensuring that Media Studies’ undergraduate and graduate programs are protected, and that the faculty positions of those who voluntarily decided to move to CAS will be refilled. Media Studies and others will discuss the faculty searches for AY 2017-18, and I will soon request applications for a new Media Studies area director.
- The JAC spring meeting at the Nike campus was productive. I shared with the council our financial situation; status of our endowments (with Lauren Wilcox leading); highlights of students, staff, and faculty accomplishments; and SOJC priorities. Regina Lawrence conducted a brainstorm session for the JAC members to identify opportunities to further support the SOJC. Students representing the Sri Lanka Field Work and Exhibit and Allen Hall Advertising’s Reset the Code campaign conducted compelling presentations that achieved full attention and engagement from JAC members.
- Graduate Affairs is working closely with Stacy Bazzana, our new graduate recruitment manager, on strategic promotion of all three of our professional master’s programs, with a goal of securing as many applications/acceptances as possible for 2017-18. Graduate Affairs is also planning an announcement/ad for the AEJMC conference/program that will promote all of our grad programs. The ad would include an announcement of Associate Dean Nah’s new position.
- I am continuously gathering feedback about the proposed Experience Hub and Research Center for Communicating Change and Complexity (working title).
- This morning, I was a keynote at the Oregon Public Relations Society of America’s 2017 Communicators Conference, where I talked about global trends with local applications.
- Next I am traveling to New York City with staff, faculty, and students who are participating in our NYC Experience and Super-J in NYC experiential learning trips. While there, I will be taking part in some of Creative Week events and visiting donors, alumni, and industry partners.
Have a good week,