Welcome to SOJC Writing Central, your home for all things writing.
Learning to write is a lifelong process, and everyone needs a little help along the way. We’re here to guide you on this journey. Our goal is to help you become a more confident and effective writer.
What can I get help with?
- Fleshing out story ideas
- Using commas, choosing verb tenses, and answering other grammar questions
- Tightening your writing
- Crafting stronger sentences
- Structuring and organizing news stories, news releases, and other assignments
Where is Writing Central located?
Allen Hall, Room 314
How can I contact Writing Central?
Drop in during open hours or email us.
What are the hours?
How to Make the Most of your Visit to Writing Central
Our coaches are eager to help you with all of you writing questions. Here’s how you can help them help you:
Our coaches will spend a couple of minutes getting to know you. They’ll ask some questions about how you’re doing, what the assignment is, what you’d like to work on. And then the two of you will discuss the assignment and strategies for making it stronger. At the end of each appointment, you’ll spend a couple of minutes polishing your grammar and style. A session can last as long as 30 minutes. Many will be shorter. It’s all about what you need.
- Your piece of writing and/or story ideas. You can print it out or bring it on your computer.
- Recommended: Your assignment sheet. Again, you can print it out or have a file on your computer.
- Recommended: Any feedback you’ve received from your professor – on this particular assignment or something you’ve written previously. Don’t worry if you don’t have anything yet.
This is actually a terrific time to visit Writing Central. Sharpening your idea and walking through the reporting process or the thinking process are important parts of the writing process. We can help.
You are welcome to drop in, kick around an idea or a sentence or a paragraph with our coaches, then stick around to work on your own or find a table elsewhere in Allen.
Our coaches aren’t editors or teachers. They are students who love to write and enjoy talking through the process of writing, which is difficult for everyone. Don’t expect to drop off your writing and have the coaches “fix it” for you. Our coaches want to help you improve as a writer, not just improve your assignment.
Writing Central Directors
Writing Central offers journalism and communication students peer-to-peer writing support through one-on-one coaching sessions. We believe that writing is a powerful tool and that everyone has the potential to become a stronger writer. We also believe the writing process has benefits beyond the written word and that it helps visual/multimedia journalists and communicators as well.