The following links may help you find what you are looking for. The SOJC does not manage most of these resources, so please be careful when providing personal information.
American Association of Advertising Agencies is one of the main professional organizations for the advertising industry. The AAAA offers a job search site for those looking for positions at advertising agencies.
The AAAA offers a large page of links to advertising agencies. The links to those advertising agencies is searchable by state.
Gannett – Owns newspapers in almost all 50 states. Owns The Statesman Journal in Salem.
Lee Enterprises – Owns newspapers across the country. Owns the Democrat-Herald in Albany and the Corvallis Gazette-Times.
Pioneer Newspapers – Owns newspapers across the North West. Owns the Herald and News in Klamath Falls & the Lake County Examiner in Lakeview.
PRSA Chapter Pages
Below are some selected readings on career search and planning topics. Keep in mind that there are many opinions on these topics, so cultivate the information for your own edification. As always, consult your faculty advisers and contacts in the field for further insight.
SOJC Student Services Career Tools
The following resources address resumes, cover letters, and interviewing specifically for the media industry. However, this advice applies broadly and can be used when applying for other opportunities. Begin your preparation for the application process with these materials and be sure to meet with a career advisor in SOJC student services and your faculty advisor for more nuanced advice.
- USDOL Fact Sheet
- How to tell when unpaid internships are opportunities, when they’re abuse (Poynter)
- Unpaid interns have their day in court
- Interns: Employee or Volunteer (Nonprofits)
Diverse Job Seekers
- How to find a job when you have a criminal record (US News)
- Coming out at work (Human Rights Campaign)
- Coming out trans at work (Human Rights Campaign)
- Workers with disabilities (Career One Stop)
- Should you Disclose Your Disability During a Job Search (The Balance)
- Disability Disclosure and Interviewing Techniques for Persons with Disabilities (Ask Jan)
- Tackling the Job Market for People in Wheelchairs (Mobility Advisor)
- The Micro-elevator Pitch (YouTern)
- Skip Job Hunting, Have Informational Interviews Instead (Personal Branding Blog)
- Four Steps to Building Your Network (PDX MindShare)
- The Informational Interview is Actually a Thing You Should Do, Yes (The Billfold)
- 7 Social Media Tricks for Your Career and Job Search (Career Sherpa)
- 7 Things You Could Be Doing On LinkedIn But Aren’t (Career Sherpa)
Cover Letters, Resumes & Other Materials
- Your Online Portfolio Influences Hiring Decisions (Career Sherpa)
- LinkedIn Profile Checklist (LinkedIn)
- Your Online Reputation Matters Because of Social Recruiting (Career Sherpa)
- Writing Cover Letters That Work (Part One): Know Your Audience (Mac’s List)
- 4 Things to Avoid When Writing Your Resume (Career Rocketeer)
- 6 Things That Make You Look Amateur on Your Resume (US News)
- The 10 Skills You Need to Thrive in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (Weforum)
- Communication Skills for Workplace Success (The Balance)
- Salary Negotiation Tips (The Balance)
- The Careful Art of Negotiating Your First Salary (Pay Scale)
- 5 Employee Perks You Can Negotiate in a Job Offer (The Balance)
General Career Resources
At the UO
Minority Professional Organizations
- Asian American Journalists Association
- Native American Journalists Association
- National Association of Black Journalists
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists
- National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association
- South Asian Journalists Association