Ph.D., Communication Studies
University of Michigan, 2016
B.A. with Distinction, Media Studies
B.A., Foreign Affairs
University of Virginia, 2010
Key and Recent Publications
- Cote, A. (forthcoming 2020). Gaming Sexism: Gender and Identity in the Era of Casual Video Games. In production with New York University Press.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Cote, A. (2018). Curate Your Culture: A Call for Social Justice-Oriented Game Development and Community Management. In K. Gray and D. Leonard (Eds.), Woke Gaming: Digital Challenges to Oppression and Social Injustice. University of Washington Press.
- Cote, A. (2018). Writing “Gamers”: The gendered construction of player identity in Nintendo Power magazine. Games and Culture, 13(5), 479-503. doi: 10.1177/1555412015624742
- Cote, A. and Mejeur, C. (2018). Gamers, Gender, and Cruel Optimism: The Limits of Social Identity Constructs in The Guild. Feminist Media Studies, 18(6), 963-978. doi: 10.1080/14680777.2017.1376699
- Cote, A. (2017). “I can defend myself”: Women’s strategies for coping with harassment while gaming online. Games and Culture, 12(2), 136-155. doi: 10.1177/1555412015587603
- Cote, A. and Raz, J. (2015). In-depth interviews for games studies. In P. Lankoski and S. Bjork (Eds.), Game Research Methods: An Overview (pp. 93-116). ETC Press.