Ph.D., Communication Studies
University of Michigan, 2016
B.A. with Distinction, Media Studies
B.A., Foreign Affairs
University of Virginia, 2010
Key and Recent Publications
- Cote, A. (2020). Gaming Sexism: Gender and Identity in the Era of Casual Video Games. New York University Press.
- Cote, A., Dal Cin, S., Exelmans, L., & Mustafaj, M. (2022). Philanthropic, Prosocial Players: How Game-Related Charity Events Motivate Unlikely Donors. New Media & Society. https://doi.org/10.1177/14614448221130738
- Cote, A., Can, O., Foxman, M., Harris, B., Hansen, J., Rahman, M., and Fickle, T. (2022). The COVID Season: Collegiate Esports Programs' Material Challenges and Opportunities During the 2020-21 Pandemic. Games and Culture. https://doi.org/10.1177/15554120221088116
- Cote, A. and Foxman, M. (2021). Studying Games. In Ferdig, R., Gandolfini, E. and Baumgartner, E. (Eds.), Teaching the Game, Vol. 1: A collection of syllabi for game design, development, and implementation. (pp. 201-224). ETC Press.
- Mejeur, C and Cote, A. (2021). Who Gets to Be in The Guild?: Race, Gender and Intersecting Stereotypes in Gaming Cultures. Loading: The Journal of the Canadian Game Studies Association, 14(24), 70-89.
- Cote, A. and Harris, B. (2021). The Cruel Optimism of “Good Crunch”: How Game Industry Discourses Perpetuate Unsustainable Labor Practices. New Media & Society. https://doi.org/10.1177/14614448211014213
- Cote, A. and Harris, B. (2021). “Weekends became something other people did”: Understanding and intervening in the habitus of video game crunch. Convergence, 27(1), 161-176. doi: 10.1177/1354856520913865
- Cote, A., Coles, S. M. and Dal Cin, S. (2021). The Interplay of Parenting Style and Family Rules about Videogames on Subsequent Fighting Behavior. Aggressive Behavior, 47(2), 135-147. https://doi.org/10.1002/ab.21931
- Cote, A. (2020). Casual resistance: A longitudinal case study of video gaming’s gendered construction and related audience perceptions. Journal of Communication, 70(6), 819-841. https://doi.org/10.1093/joc/jqaa028
- Cote, A. (2018). Curate Your Culture: A Call for Social Justice-Oriented Game Development and Community Management. In K. Gray and D. Leonard (Eds.), Woke Gaming: Digital Challenges to Oppression and Social Injustice. (pp. 193-212). University of Washington Press.
- Cote, A. and Mejeur, C. (2018). Gamers, Gender, and Cruel Optimism: The Limits of Social Identity Constructs in The Guild. Feminist Media Studies, 18(6), 963-978. doi: 10.1080/14680777.2017.1376699
- Cote, A. (2018). Writing “Gamers”: The gendered construction of player identity in Nintendo Power magazine. Games and Culture, 13(5), 479-503. doi: 10.1177/1555412015624742
- Cote, A. (2017). “I can defend myself”: Women’s strategies for coping with harassment while gaming online. Games and Culture, 12(2), 136-155. doi: 10.1177/1555412015587603
- UO Understood- From Digital to Dungeons: What the video game industry can learn from D&D
- Oregon Humanities Center, UO Today with Amanda Cote
- Cote, A. C. (2020, August 21). Here's what it'll take to clean up esports' toxic culture. The Conversation.
See http://www.amandaccote.com/ for full details on research and publications.