In the following links you will find resources that may help you find what you are looking for. Most of the links provided are non-SOJC links, and therefore their content is not controlled by the SOJC. Please be careful on what personal information you give on the internet.
American Association of Advertising Agencies is one of the main professional organizations for the advertising industry. The AAAA offers a job search site for those looking for positions at advertising agencies.
The AAAA offers a large page of links to advertising agencies. The links to those advertising agencies is searchable by state.
Gannett – Owns newspapers in almost all 50 states. Owns The Statesman Journal in Salem.
Lee Enterprises – Owns newspapers across the country. Owns the Democrat-Herald in Albany and the Corvallis Gazette-Times.
Pioneer Newspapers – Owns newspapers across the North West. Owns the Herald and News in Klamath Falls & the Lake County Examiner in Lakeview.
PRSA Chapter Pages
Below, you can find some selected readings on career search and planning topics. Keep in mind that many people have different opinions on these topics, so cultivate the information for your own edification. As always, consult your faculty advisers and contacts in the field for further insight.
- USDOL Fact Sheet
- How to tell when unpaid internships are opportunities, when they’re abuse (Poynter)
- Unpaid interns have their day in court
- Interns: Employee or Volunteer (Nonprofits)
- How to Start a Networking Email (Wetfeet)
- Skip Job Hunting, Have Informational Interviews Instead (Personal Branding Blog)
- The 411 on Informational Interviews (Wetfeet)
- Four Steps to Building Your Network (PDX MindShare)
- The Informational Interview is Actually a Thing You Should Do, Yes (The Billfold)
- 7 Social Media Tricks for Your Career and Job Search (Career Sherpa)
- 7 Things You Could Be Doing On LinkedIn But Aren’t (Career Sherpa)
Cover Letters & Resumes
- Writing Cover Letters That Work (Part One): Know Your Audience (Mac’s List)
- 4 Things to Avoid When Writing Your Resume (Career Rocketeer)
- 6 Things That Make You Look Amateur on Your Resume (US News)
- How to Stand Out in an Interview (Life Hacker)
- Nine Things You Should Never Say in an Interview (Wetfeet)
- Ten Questions You Should Never be Asked in an Interview (Wetfeet)
*they left off a big one for women, in particular: “Are you planning to start a family soon?”
- Top 5 Interview Mistakes Millennials Make (Forbes)
- 3 Things Employers Look for in an Interview (Wetfeet)
- Verbal Communication Skills List (The Balance)
- Practical Ways to Use Life Experiences to Land a Job (Darling)
Accepting Job Offers
- Accepting a Job Offer? Ask These 10 Questions First (Wetfeet)
- What to Do Before You Accept a Job Offer (Wetfeet)
- Office Etiquette for the Recent Grad (Wetfeet)
- Communication Skills for Workplace Success (The Balance)
General Career Resources
At the UO
Minority Professional Organizations
- Asian American Journalists’ Association
- Native American Journalists’ Association
- National Association of Black Journalists
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists
- National Lesbian and Gay Journalists’ Association
- South Asian Journalists Association