The following links may help you find what you are looking for. The SOJC does not manage most of these resources, so please be careful when providing personal information.
American Association of Advertising Agencies is one of the main professional organizations for the advertising industry. The AAAA offers a job search site for those looking for positions at advertising agencies.
The AAAA offers a large page of links to advertising agencies. The links to those advertising agencies is searchable by state.
Gannett – Owns newspapers in almost all 50 states. Owns The Statesman Journal in Salem.
Lee Enterprises – Owns newspapers across the country. Owns the Democrat-Herald in Albany and the Corvallis Gazette-Times.
Pioneer Newspapers – Owns newspapers across the North West. Owns the Herald and News in Klamath Falls & the Lake County Examiner in Lakeview.
PRSA Chapter Pages
Below are some selected readings on career search and planning topics. Keep in mind that there are many opinions on these topics, so cultivate the information for your own edification. As always, consult your faculty advisers and contacts in the field for further insight.
SOJC Student Services Career Tools
The following resources address resumes, cover letters, and interviewing specifically for the media industry. However, this advice applies broadly and can be used when applying for other opportunities. Begin your preparation for the application process with these materials and be sure to meet with a career advisor in SOJC student services and your faculty advisor for more nuanced advice.
- USDOL Fact Sheet
- How to tell when unpaid internships are opportunities, when they’re abuse (Poynter)
- Unpaid interns have their day in court
- Interns: Employee or Volunteer (Nonprofits)
- How to Start a Networking Email (Wetfeet)
- Skip Job Hunting, Have Informational Interviews Instead (Personal Branding Blog)
- The 411 on Informational Interviews (Wetfeet)
- Four Steps to Building Your Network (PDX MindShare)
- The Informational Interview is Actually a Thing You Should Do, Yes (The Billfold)
- 7 Social Media Tricks for Your Career and Job Search (Career Sherpa)
- 7 Things You Could Be Doing On LinkedIn But Aren’t (Career Sherpa)
Cover Letters & Resumes
- Writing Cover Letters That Work (Part One): Know Your Audience (Mac’s List)
- 4 Things to Avoid When Writing Your Resume (Career Rocketeer)
- 6 Things That Make You Look Amateur on Your Resume (US News)
- How to Stand Out in an Interview (Life Hacker)
- Nine Things You Should Never Say in an Interview (Wetfeet)
- Ten Questions You Should Never be Asked in an Interview (Wetfeet)
*they left off a big one for women, in particular: “Are you planning to start a family soon?”
- Top 5 Interview Mistakes Millennials Make (Forbes)
- 3 Things Employers Look for in an Interview (Wetfeet)
- Verbal Communication Skills List (The Balance)
- Practical Ways to Use Life Experiences to Land a Job (Darling)
Accepting Job Offers
- Accepting a Job Offer? Ask These 10 Questions First (Wetfeet)
- What to Do Before You Accept a Job Offer (Wetfeet)
- Office Etiquette for the Recent Grad (Wetfeet)
- Communication Skills for Workplace Success (The Balance)
General Career Resources
At the UO
Minority Professional Organizations
- Asian American Journalists Association
- Native American Journalists Association
- National Association of Black Journalists
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists
- National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association
- South Asian Journalists Association