[FALL 2009 curriculum]
The philosophy of the Public Relations (JPR) program is that practitioners must be versed in all the diverse communication specialties. Majors are therefore advised to take appropriate course work in other fields, as well as related studies in other schools and departments, from business to sociology. Student organizations include Allen Hall Public Relations (AHPR) and Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). Faculty: Pat Curtin, Tiffany Derville Gallicano, Anna Klyueva, Kelli Matthews, Duncan McDonald.
- J350 Principles of Public Relations
- J352 (formerly listed as J440) Strategic Writing & Media Relations (Prereq: JPR standing, J350, completion of the Gateway series)
Prior to May 2013, this class was listed as J440 Strategic Writing & Media Relations.
- J452 Strategic Public Relations Communication (Prereq: J352, formerly listed as J440)
- J453 Strategic Planning and Cases (Prereq: J352, formerly listed as J440)
- J454 Public Relations Campaigns (Prereq: J453, J495*)
* Public Relations students must include J495 Research Methods: Strategic Communication as one of their Core Context classes.
Other things you should know about this major:
- It is not possible to complete this major in one year.
- J352 (formerly J440), J452, J453 and J454 are offered every fall, winter and spring.
- You may take J350 Principles of Public Relations while you are a premajor. However, you should probably wait until you are at least a sophomore before taking the class. You should also take J201 before you take this class. J350 is typically offered in the fall and spring.
- J350 is a prerequisite for J352 (formerly J440) and they may not be taken together.
- J352 (formerly J440) is a prerequisite for J452 and they may not be taken together.
- J352 (formerly J440) is a prerequisite for J453 and they may not be taken together.
- You are encouraged to take J452 and J453 at the same time but may also take them separately.
- J453 is a prerequisite for J454 and they may not be taken together.
The ideal way to complete this major:
J207 Gateway to Media III
J350 Principles of PR
J352 Strategic Writing (formerly J 440)
J495 Research Methods
J452 Strategic Communication
J453 Strategic Planning
J454 PR Campaigns