[FALL 2009 curriculum | Pre-Fall 2009 curriculum]
NOTE: There are three changes to the CMST minor going into effect this fall. Please read these carefully.
1. Any minor courses taken Fall 2013 or later must be passed with at least a "C." Anything lower than that (including a "C-") will no longer count. Pass/no pass will no longer be an option either.
2. We are phasing out the CMST minor. Effective Fall 2013, that minor will be replaced with a 24-credit "Media Studies" minor. One key difference is that J314 Introduction to Media Studies will no longer be required. See below for how this may impact you.
3. Students who have a major in the School of Journalism and Communication are not eligible for the Media Studies minor. As of May 20, 2013, we cannot accept any more CMST applications from J-school majors or pre-majors. Any CMST applications received by non-J-school majors after May 20, 2013 will be processed as Media Studies applications.
Communication Studies Minor Requirements:
Required courses (7 credits):
Elective courses (choose 20 credits):
* [Topic] courses are offered with varying titles. These topic curses are repeatable three times. The titles must be different each time the course is repeated.
To see how the changes to the CMST minor impact you, read on.
The current Communication Studies minor will be phased out. If you have already completed all the requirements for this minor (or will complete them by the end of Summer 2013), you will still be able to graduate with the minor, even if your graduation date is beyond Fall 2013. If you have not already completed all the requirements, please see below:
1. "I have taken some of the minor classes (including J201) pass/no pass, or took them graded and earned a C- (or both)."
2. "I have already taken J314 Introduction to Media Studies."
3. "I am a non-J-school major, have started the minor, took everything graded and earned at least a C in all my minor courses so far, but haven't taken J314."
4. "I have a major in the J-school right now, have the CMST minor declared, and I haven't taken J314."
5. "I will be completing the Communication Studies minor this summer" and/or "I will be graduating this summer."
Learn about the Media Studies minor here. If you wish to adopt the new requirements, submit the online form.
If you have additional questions, drop-in advising is available in 134 Allen Hall from 9-11 a.m. and 1-4 p.m., Monday through Friday.