Leigh Anne Jasheway teaches Grammar for Communicators, Comedy in Media, and a number of freshman seminars and FIGs on comedy as a communication tool. She has been a comedy and inspirational speaker and writer for 21 years and has 24 published books. She is also a stand-up comedian and improviser.
MPH, University of Texas Houston Health Science Center
BA, University of Texas, Austin
Areas of Expertise
- comedy in media
- comedy and bullying
- gender and comedy
- political humor
- comedy writing
- non-fiction writing
- fiction writing
- screenplay writing
Recent citations/publications/professional work:
- 101 Comedy Games for Kids and Grown-Ups, Hunter House Publishers, 2014.
- Talk Grammar to Me, online textbook with videos and gaming, Great River Technologies, 2012.
Relevant anthologies contributions:
- Writer’s Digest Writer’s Workbook, 2012.
- Winter Tales: Women Write about Aging, Serving House Books, 2012.
- Crafting Novels & Short Stories: The Complete Guide to Writing Great Fiction, 2011.
Writing magazines features:
- Improv(e) your writing (not to mention your creativity and fearlessness), Writer’s Digest, Nov/Dec 2013
- America’s Next Top Writer, Writer’s Digest, May/June 2012
- 10 Ways to Improve Your Writing by Thinking Like a Comedy Writer, Writer’s Digest, September 2011
- Humor in Nonfiction, Writer’s Digest, July 2011
- Why Collaboration Might be Right for You, The Writer, November 2010.
- He Said, She Said, Writer’s Digest, March 2010.
Leigh Anne Jasheway studies the role of comedy and sense of humor in the way we communicate with each other and whether comedy does more to bring us close or drive us apart. Her specific emphasis is on gender and comedy.
- Winner, 2007 American Association of Therapeutic Humor Book Award
- Winner, 2003 Erma Bombeck Humor Writing Competition
- Winner, 2004 Humor in Food Writing Competition
- 2nd Place, 2005 Mona Schreiber Humorous Fiction Award
- Honorable Mention, 2005 Kay Snow Writing Awards
- Semi-Finalist, 2004 San Diego Film Festival for Star Struck
- Finalist, 1997 Midwest Independent Book Award
Grammar for Communicators
Comedy in Media
Comedy: Hero or Bully (Freshman Seminar)
College: A Screwball Comedy
For LCC: Write Your Life Funny and Improv
She also teaches comedy writing classes online for Media Bistro and Onliten.